ORGANISATION // Grimsay Community Association
PROJECT // The Grimsay Boat Story
TOTAL PROJECT COST // £168,650
LEADER FUNDING PROVIDED // £78,884
Grimsay Community Association proposes to develop a unique and appropriate year-round visitor attraction on Grimsay through new facilities supported by our existing year-round community services, to include:
- Construction of a Boat Haven to house significant examples of the Grimsay Boats and tell the story of the Stewart boatbuilders and the local fishing industry. This will be the only Maritime Centre in the Western Isles, and include the actual boats as well as related skills and heritage; it will provide a high quality visitor experience for all ages, informed by our 18 years of community research. A programme of interpretive activities will run year-round.
- Construction of an adjacent covered courtyard training space to enable year-round demonstrations and hands-on workshops in traditional boat repair skills, building on the legacy of LEADER and HLF training projects at the Grimsay Boatshed. The courtyard will also provide a sustainable space for our weekly year-round market of crofting produce and crafts.
- Reconstruction of our existing ‘Manse’ building to provide an activities room for educational and all-weather events as well as toilets and a small office.
- If funding permits, a glass courtyard as a weather-proof link to our existing building, with an iconic view of Eabhal.
- We are also seeking a contribution to the staffing package that will support new visitor and outreach programmes to deliver heritage and skills-based experiences and events. These will include tours, demonstrations and workshops with activities aimed at visitors of all ages, as well as educational visits by school and college groups.
The year-round visitor experiences will be enriched by existing amenities at Ceann na h-Àirigh (our newly renovated centre) which include a cafe, the local Post Office, the Grimsay heritage collection and event space. Through creation of the Boat Haven (with its programmes delivered by new staff and the Grimsay Boatshed Trust) and combined with our many years experience in presenting traditional skills and Gaelic culture, The Grimsay Boat Story will provide visitors with a unique and authentic introduction to the island way of life. As the only public space on Grimsay, CnhA will also be a comfortable and convenient base for exploration of Grimsay and the Uists.