The aim of this project is to provide a purpose built new Training & Support Centre on our existing garden site in Northbay. The new build will provide a hub for local people, third sector, statutory services and visitors to the islands of Barra and Vatersay.
The Centre will provide:
- A purposely designed facility to provide training areas, social space, Changing places toilet (for those with complex needs), baby changing facility and breakaway quiet area for clients in need of support towards their independent living.
- A purpose-built community café catering for training and volunteering needs of all abilities including those with assessed needs which will include an independent lifestyle kitchen space for ongoing learning needs for people with assessed needs. Open to public 2 days per week.
- Secure and safe space for clients, including supported volunteers, to meet with care inspectorate standards.
- Craft and visiting therapist designated areas which will be accessible to Barra day care, Barra cancer group, Garadh befriending worker, Barra Alcohol & Drugs worker, Advocacy service and those suffering from long term conditions.
- A dedicated care office to provide confidential space, a requirement to meet care inspectorate standards.
- A dedicated office for the Volunteer centre Western Isles.
- Shared desk office for garden supervisors and Lews Castle College staff.
- Improved facilities for Volunteers and visitors to the Garadh, which will enable the organisation to build on their social enterprise by extending seasonal opportunities to the community.
- A community facility for use by, Barra cancer support group, provision for visiting therapist on the North end of the island and provision of a locked cupboard store for equipment.
- Community drop in facility for Mental health team. CPN lead for Uist and Barra has indicated that the Garadh would be an ideal venue for mental health workers to meet with people in a community setting.